It may be grey and cold outside but nothing can chase those clouds away better than comforting Vacherin which is currently in season. If you’re a local you’ll simply spoon the cheese out and eat it at room temperature. We however, prefer to cook it in the oven which elevates this cheese to a whole new level.
- 1 x Vacherin Mont D’Or 500g
- 3 x Shallots or spring onions finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 20g Butter
- 1 Sprig of rosemary finely chopped
- Dash of chardonnay
- Warm your oven to 170 degrees
- In a pan soften the garlic and shallots with the butter until translucent. Add the rosemary and Chardonnay and cook off the wine until it has evaporated. Set to one side and allow it to cool.
- Using a sharp knife remove the top rind of the Vacherin and place it to one side. Spread the cooled shallot mix over the top evenly and using the knife cut downwards into the cheese to distribute the mix evenly.
- Replace the top rind of the cheese and the lid of the box. Wrap in foil to stop it catching in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese is runny and gooey.
- Remove the lid of the box and place under a grill to crisp the top until crunchy and golden.
- Baby potatoes